GCLS Makerspace Safety Guide
Read this information before you begin a project.
Get “Certified.” Certification is required of all GCLS Makerspace users who want to use the laser cutter/engraver, vinyl/silhouette cutter, or any 3D printer. Certification is also required to use the serger sewing machine or embroidery machine if you are a maker under age 18, or if you haven’t operated a sewing machine before. Ask us for a schedule of sewing classes. Certification training is scheduled by appointment. Contact email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
Review the Health and Safety sheet before using the Virtual Reality headset. Wearing the Virtual Reality headset is for ages 13 and up and for temporary use only.
Focus. Do not distract others or let yourself be distracted when using tools/equipment.
Keep hands, fingers and hair away from the blades or other moving parts of equipment.
Maintain a safe work area.
- Keep area free of debris and clutter while working.
- When using blades, always close or cover the blade if possible when not in use.
- Let hot items cool first.
- Clean up after you’re finished working.
- Return tools to their proper storage area when not in use.
Wear proper attire & safety equipment.
- Safety glasses and gloves are available in all GCLS Makerspaces.
- Wear closed-toed shoes.
- Tie back long hair.
- Avoid dangling jewelry.
- Wear clothing appropriate for the activity being performed.
- Keep sharp tools out of pockets.
Notify staff if you experience an injury or if a tool isn’t working right.
Supervise minors. It is required that anyone under age 13 is supervised by a parent or guardian in all GCLS Makerspaces at all times. But supervision is highly encouraged for families of all ages, as the makerspace contains sharp, hot, and potentially dangerous items. Younger kids should be encouraged to try our MakerStudio@GCLS Jr., at the GCLS Mullica Hill Library, which features hands-on activities for children under age 9.
Ask us if you have questions about proper operation of equipment or tools. If we don’t know, we can help you find the answer.