Job opportunities at the Gloucester County Library System are managed by the Gloucester County Human Resources Department. Openings will be posted on the Job Vacancies page of the Gloucester County Human Resources Department website at http://www.co.gloucester.nj.us/depts/h/hr/jobvac.asp. or you can view them below.
Job applications may be obtained from the Gloucester County Human Resources Department website at http://www.co.gloucester.nj.us/depts/h/hr/default.asp.
Applications must be submitted directly to the Gloucester County Human Resources Department unless noted otherwise below.
Position: Librarian 1/Library Associate – Youth Services
Location: GCLS Mullica Hill Library
Full Time: 35 Hours per week
Compensation: $24.75 per hour minimum for Librarian 1
$19.24 per hour minimum for Library Associate
Job Application Deadline: October 7, 2022
Send cover letter and resume to: Carolyn S. Oldt, Director, Gloucester County Library System, 389 Wolfert Station Rd., Mullica Hill, NJ 08062 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Gloucester County Library System is seeking an energetic, service-oriented professional librarian or student enrolled in a library program, who is focused on providing library services to teens/young adults, to serve at the GCLS Mullica Hill Headquarters Library. The successful candidate will provide high-quality programming, collection development, and information services to a culturally and economically diverse community. GCLS seeks a youth services teen librarian with a passion for youth services and excellent customer service and communication skills.
This is a full-time (35 hours per week) position. The position will be located at the GCLS Mullica Hill Headquarters Library, 389 Wolfert Station Rd., Mullica Hill, NJ. Hours include daytime hours, at least one (1) night per week, and weekend hours. This is a NJ Civil Service position.
The position requires a Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA accredited institution. Students enrolled in an ALA accredited MLS program, who are at least half way through the program will also be considered for a Library Associate title, and are encouraged to apply. The possession of a valid license as a Professional Librarian in the State of NJ, issued by the Bureau of Teacher Certification, Thomas Edison State College is required for those with an MLS degree. A minimum of one (1) year of experience working in a public library setting with ages 12 - 18 is preferred. Grant writing experience is a plus.
Very strong customer service skills and interpersonal skills are required. The successful candidate must be a team player who is able to positively interact with coworkers and the public. Excellent communication, leadership, technical, project management and organizational skills are a must.
The successful candidate will:
- Design, implement and evaluate a variety of innovative, regularly scheduled, and special event youth services programs and services, with a focus on STEAM, maker movement, emerging technologies, and other trends in teen services.
- Provide outreach to local schools and build partnerships with the educational community.
- Develop and maintain relationships with teen-focused community organizations and cultural institutions.
- Attend outreach events and programs as schedule allows.
- Assist the Youth Services Department with the planning, preparation, and execution of system-wide programming initiatives (Summer Reading Program, Maker’s Day, etc.).
- Be responsible for collection development and maintenance of the Young Adult collection. Ensure the library’s collection includes relevant print and nonprint resources aimed at specific interests and needs of the teen community.
- Maintain the Young Adult print and nonprint materials budget.
- Create marketing content promoting teen materials, programs, and services.
- Coordinate activities and duties of teen volunteers.
- Provide professional reference and readers’ advisory service. Provide prompt, courteous, and direct assistance to all patrons.
- Assist customers using public computers and digital services when needed.
- Have the ability to work well with people, either one-on-one or in a group setting.
- Be responsible for building operations when required.
- Participate in professional development opportunities such as conferences, seminars, committees, etc.
- Embrace new and emerging technology through exploration and self-directed learning
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have the ability to accurately perform a considerable volume of duties, and to handle multiple activities and a variety of assignments. The successful candidate will have excellent problem solving skills, with the ability to creatively resolve problems when necessary.
Experience using SirsiDynix ILS, Envisionware PC Reservation system, Evanced calendar/ meeting room reservation, and 3M self-check system is desirable. Experience in makerspace equipment such as 3D printers, virtual reality, and other STEM related materials is also desired.
Job duties require the ability to stand for extended periods, lift up to 50 pounds, and sufficient visual discrimination to be able to read spine labels. The position may require travel between GCLS Branch libraries. A valid NJ Driver’s License is required.
Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment physical and a criminal background check, including fingerprinting.
The position requires residency in the State of New Jersey. If the successful applicant is not a New Jersey resident, he or she must become a bona fide New Jersey resident within one year. Applications from qualified residents of Gloucester County, NJ will have first consideration.
The NJ Civil Service job description for Librarian 1 is available at https://info.csc.state.nj.us/jobspec/07569.htm. This is a non-competitive title.
The NJ Civil Service job description for Library Associate is available at
https://info.csc.state.nj.us/jobspec/02288.htm. This is a non-competitive title.
Position: Library Assistant Part-Time (3 positions available)
Location: GCLS Mullica Hill Library
Part Time: Up to 21 hours per week
Compensation: Hourly Rate $14.34
The part-time Library Assistant position requires the person to work at a Public Service Desk at the GCLS Mullica Hill Headquarters Library, 389 Wolfert Station Rd., Mullica Hill, NJ. Hours may include daytime hours, up to three (3) nights per week, and every other weekend.
Very strong customer service skills and interpersonal skills are required. The successful candidate must be a team player who is able to positively interact with coworkers and the public, including adults, children and their caregivers, and teens.
Excellent computer skills are required, including:
- strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Word and Excel and the ability to assist library customers using these programs
- the ability to retrieve and send email;
- the ability to assist library customers in setting up email accounts the ability to learn all features of a sophisticated VoIP phone system, including the ability to send and retrieve voice mail, to transfer calls, and to place and return to callers on hold.
- the ability to create and access shared files using Google Drive
- an understanding of personal electronic devices, including mobile phones, iPads/tablets and eReaders, and the ability to assist library customers with downloading library eContent
- the ability to learn the library's proprietary circulation and catalog software the ability to learn, use and assist customers with other library technology such as public area copiers/printers, public fax machine, self-checkout kiosks
- the ability to learn how to use the library's electronic resources, including reference databases, downloadable eContent, online events calendar
- the willingness to embrace new and emerging technology through exploration and self-directed learning
The successful candidate must have the ability to accurately perform a considerable volume of general library clerk duties, and to handle multiple activities and a variety of assignments while assisting the public in the use of library resources.
Job duties require the ability to retrieve library materials from both low and high-level shelving, standing for extended periods, lifting up to 50 pounds, pushing/pulling fully loaded book trucks, and sufficient visual discrimination to be able to read spine labels. The successful candidate must have the stamina required to meet the physical demands of the job. Upon completion of training, the successful candidate may be required to provide public desk coverage at other GCLS branch locations as needed.
The Civil Service job description for Library Assistant is available at http://info.csc.state.nj.us/jobspec/07467.htm. This is a non-competitive title.
The Gloucester County Library System is an equal opportunity employer.