During the first week of January 2017, the Gloucester County Library System implemented the use of PIN numbers along with the library card number to sign in to most library services.
PIN numbers provide an additional layer of security to your personal information. For example, a PIN number protects your bank debit card and helps to prevent unauthorized access to your account. A library card PIN number provides the same type of protection.
The following services require your PIN number in addition to your library card number:
- Using the online catalog to Place Holds, Renew Materials or Access Your Account
- Using library self-checkout machines
- Using GCLS eResources (Overdrive, Hoopla, etc.)
- Using GCLS online research databases remotely from home
A PIN field was added to all of the services shown above. Where you used to sign in with just your library card number, you now also have to enter your PIN number in the PIN field.
Hoopla Users: Until you add in your PIN number to your Hoopla account, you will be unable to borrow any materials. You may see the message "Your library card is expired or invalid" due to having no PIN listed on your account. To add in your PIN, please follow the instructions in the Adding PIN to Hoopla document.
By default, the PIN will be the last 4 digits of your library card number.
GCLS strongly recommends that library patrons change their initial default PIN number to one that is meaningful to them.
You can log into the online catalog to change your PIN using these steps:
- Type in your library card number and your current PIN into the boxes in the upper right of the catalog.
- Click on “My Account” on the right in the grey toolbar.
- Click on “User PIN Change.”
- Enter your old PIN and your new PIN of choice to make the change.
- Click Save.
You may also visit any GCLS library in person to change your PIN number with staff assistance and appropriate ID.
If you cannot remember your PIN - try the last 4 digits of your library card. If that doesn’t work, please visit a GCLS library with appropriate ID and library card to obtain and/or change your PIN. A PIN cannot be retrieved or changed without appropriate identification. Staff will not give or change PINs over the phone or via email or chat.